Apollo astronaut & scientist rejects IPCC climate report
17 minutes ago
"1820 (station established 1768). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); red light, 8 s on, 4 s off, 4 s on, 4 s off. 20 m (66 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery."The first picture below is from the linked Web page above.
|It's a pretty long walk|
"Surely there is blame on both sides regarding the politicization of the federal courts, but the damage to the Supreme Court itself is largely the work of the Republican Party, specifically of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). Republicans brag about their power play in denying Judge Merrick Garland a vote, and then doing away with the 60-vote cloture requirement. They are downright delighted with McConnell for having pulled this off (almost)."Exactly right. So if Kavanaugh's nomination goes right off the rails, it serves them right.
"1887 (station established 1853). Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 31 m (102 ft) octagonal stone tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a 2-story masonry keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern dome is gray metallic."It seems strange that the lighthouse was built a year before Vulcano's last recorded eruption. By the way, the lighthouse is also known as the Faro di Gelso, as there is a small community named Gelso just up the slope from it.
"The native of Victoria, British Columbia has ties to the Chocolate and White [Hershey's colors, of course], serving as the head coach and director of hockey operations for Hershey's ECHL affiliate, the South Carolina Stingrays, from 2011-2016. In his five seasons at the helm, Carbery compiled a 207-115-38 record with the Stingrays, making him the all-time winningest coach in South Carolina history. "Sounds good.
"James F. Barker, the first head keeper, and John M. Cowan, his assistant, were transferred to Coquille River from Heceta Head and took up residence at the new station during the first part of 1896. The fourth-order Fresnel lens was first shown from the tower on February 29, 1896, and a snowstorm settled in the next day, necessitating the first use of the fog signal."Here's some excerpts from the esteemed Lighthouse Directory on this lighthouse:
"1896. Inactive since 1939 (a decorative solar-powered light has been displayed since 1991; charted as a landmark). 40 ft (12 m) stucco-clad brick tower attached to an unusual "Victorian Italianate" fog signal building. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery black.So there are lots of pictures available; here are five.
The lighthouse was restored beginning in 1976 by Oregon State Parks. However, violent weather in the early 2000s damaged the site, and a new restoration effort was launched. Progress was slow, however, and in 2005 there was fresh concern about the poor condition of the building. Restoration was finally completed by Oregon State Parks in 2007."
"The largest specimen, weighing 95kg (210lb), was found to contain more than 2,400 ounces of gold, Canadian miner RNC Minerals said.Here's some pictures of this short but impressive gold rush.
The company said it had extracted gold worth about C$15m (£9m; $11m) from a mine near Kalgoorlie last week."
HARRIS: But do you agree that it can do that? [ It = Supreme Court. That = overturn any precedent ]
KAVANAUGH: There are times, but there’s a series of conditions, important conditions that if faithfully applied make it rare …
"The Colorado River basin, which stretches from Wyoming to Mexico, has been drying out during what scientists say is one of the driest 19-year periods in the past 1,200 years. The river has long been over-allocated, with the demands of farms and cities exceeding the available water supply, and the strains are being compounded by growing population, drought and climate change.
The scientists, who say their group presents an "independent, scientific voice for the future of the Colorado River," detailed how much Lake Powell has gone down in less than two decades. By the end of this year, Powell's levels are projected to have dropped 94 feet below where the reservoir stood in 2000, when it was nearly full."
"Scientists have found that higher temperatures have contributed significantly to reductions in the river's flow since 2000. They call it a "temperature-dominated drought." In one recent study, scientists projected that warming will likely cause the river’s flow to decrease by 35 percent or more this century."Ah yes. Climate change.
"Situated 130 feet from the lakeshore, octagonal Port Sanilac Lighthouse stands fifty-nine feet tall and is connected to the nearby two-story keeper’s by a covered passageway. The eight-room dwelling had two, 2,200-gallon brick cisterns built beneath its kitchen that were used to collect rainwater for domestic use. Ile aux Galets Lighthouse is the only tower that resembles the one at Port Sanilac."At the end of the Lighthouse Friends page, this status is stated:
"Carl Rosenfeld, of Carl’s Chop House fame, purchased the dwelling portion of Port Sanilac Lighthouse for $4,000 in 1928, four years before opening his popular Detroit restaurant. The tower, which still contains its Fresnel lens, was sold to the Rosenfeld family in 2000, though the Coast Guard is still responsible for the light. The light station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.So I wondered if there was anything more recent.
In 2012, the Rosenfeld family placed Port Sanilac Lighthouse, along with a three-bedroom guest cottage, on the market for $1.599 million. The keeper’s dwelling, which was thoroughly renovated in the mid-1990s, now features three nautical-themed bedrooms, one full bathroom, a half bath, a kitchen, living room, dining room, and a Florida room added in the 1940s with a wall of windows facing the lake. The historic brick oil house, wooden outhouse, and well also remain on the property. The lighthouse, without the guest house, was still on the market in 2013 with a sale price of $999,800."
"Jeff Shook, lighthouse owner and Michigan Lighthouse Conservancy president, purchased the lighthouse in late 2015 and privately funded the restoration. The home attached to the lighthouse at 81 S. Lake St., is used by Shook’s family as a summer home, but the lighthouse tower will be open to the public on Fridays for tours."So, it's possible to get inside the tower. And based on one of my pictures below, it still has a Fresnel lens as its light source.