Thursday, November 20, 2008

Speaking of mermaids



I saw a mermaid on a truck today. This got me thinking about mermaids, and how they're portrayed in art. Mermaids are fantasy creatures, and a lot of the images of them are both fantastical and fantasy-worthy. Well, Google being what it is, I found this Disney Dream Portrait -- I hadn't heard about this before -- with Julianne Moore as the Little Mermaid. Check out the merman swimming by in front.


Here's a story about the picture:

Julianne Moore is the Little Mermaid

High-resolution version

Now, if you'll click around a little while, you can find others. Like this:


Peter Pan is played by Baryshnikov.

Wendy Darling is played by Gisele Bundchen.

Now THAT's a dream.

High-resolution version

See if you recognize Tinkerbell.

So I've seen all of them now; Jessica Biel as Pocahontas, Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella, Beyonce as Alice in Wonderland, and Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony as Aladdin and Jasmine. Nice pictures, but I would have held out for Aishwarya Rai as Jasmine.

No comments: