Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ravens redux, and college bowl mishmash

I haven't done a sports posting for awhile, but I thought I'd note two things:

1. The BCS is ridiculous. Yet another example of how exciting an actual NCAA football championship could be demonstrated when Utah demolished Alabama. And who the heck is Brian Johnson? (Alabama is wondering if anybody got the license plate of the quarterback that ran over them.)

Echoed by John Feinstein of WaPo: Vote for Utah, for College Football's Sake

And ESPN (who I still hate and have to explain why someday): Oklahoma and Florida can battle for the BCS. But we've already crowned the true national champ

2. My hometown Baltimore Ravens (actually, growing up in Baltimore, the Colts were the hometown team: nice to see the tributes to the greatest games ever played) are doing pretty good. So how come intercept-returner extraordinaire Ed Reed didn't get the Defensive Player of the Year? Beats me. OK, there ought to be an award for most defensive highlights in ESPN's Top Ten plays. Reed walks (er, runs) away with that one.

OK, so heck I vowed not to talk much about professional sports (note that I include BCS football). But I still watch them on TV. So sue me. Not that anyone reads what I say anyway. Gives me the freedom of creative anonymity.

Question: Whatever happened to Maria Gracia Cucinotta? She turned 40 this year. More on that later.

No comments: