Monday, February 9, 2009

Hey Hannity, how's your memory?

I happened to be able to listen to Sean Hannity's radio show this afternoon; I don't get that chance very often and I sure don't miss it if I don't. But I do tune in to see how that end of the spectrum is thinking. I happened to catch him talking to Arlen Specter, and the subject came up, as far as I remember, that the stimulus bill would leave billions of dollars of debt for the kids.

What I want to know is if Hannity could remember Bush sticking to his tax cuts, even as the nation's budget regenerated billions of dollars of deficit every year, following the last couple of years of the Clinton administration, where there was actually a little bit of positive surplus?

It reminds me of the last year of the Gilmore administration on the other side of the river; Gov. Gilmore stuck to his "no car tax" rescindment plan even though the state budget was headed toward a big hole, one that Governor, now Senator, Mark Warner managed (and that's a good term for it) to pull the state out of.

And while I'm at it: that "no car tax" campaign was great politics and lousy public policy. Whenever I read about how much Virginyyans hated the car tax, I sympathized with 'em, but they still had a revenue stream. Gilmore didn't have a plan to replace the revenue, and when the good times ended, he left the state in the lurch, big-time.

Taxes actually pay for things. I don't like paying them, but I also don't like hitting a big pothole in the road and having to replace a wheel rim. And I haven't seen a private company yet that would fill in potholes for profit. That gets me back to my make-the-speeders-pay-for-it plan, but we'll have to wait for the governments to realize how lucrative speed cameras really are.

Oh yeah, they also work:

GHSA Touts Study Showing Speed Cameras Reduce Accidents

Don't believe the people who say they don't. People don't like getting tickets.

No comments: