Thursday, August 9, 2018

OK, I have never heard of Bermuda fireworms


I admit never having heard of Bermuda fireworms.

But apparently they spawn like clockwork.  So they glow and they spawn with meticulous timing.

And they live in Bermuda.  What's not to like?


Study Sheds Light on Mysterious Glowing Fireworms Seen by Christopher Columbus


“The female worms come up from the bottom and swim quickly in tight little circles as they glow, which looks like a field of little cerulean stars across the surface of jet black water,” says Mark Siddall, a curator in the Museum’s Division of Invertebrate Zoology and author on the study. “Then the males, homing in on the light of the females, come streaking up from the bottom like comets—they luminesce, too. There’s a little explosion of light as both dump their gametes in the water. It is by far the most beautiful biological display I have ever witnessed.”

And I know that now you're asking yourself, as I did when I read that paragraph...

Is there a video?  (As God is my witness, when I just typed that question, I do not know if there's a video. But I am now going to look for one.)

Well, there would have to be, right?



No comments: