Sunday, February 3, 2019

Lighthouse of the Week, February 3-9, 2019: Ponta dos Capelinhos, Azores, Portugal


After five lighthouses in Sicily, I cast about for places that I hadn't featured before that have lighthouses.  I settled on the Azores islands, which are part of Portugal.  And yes, they do have lighthouses.

The lighthouse I'm featuring is inactive since 1957 due to an eruption of the Faial volcano.  In fact, the lighthouse is inland now, because the eruption created a new island offshore that eventually merged with the main part of the island.  The remaining octagonal stone tower is about 20 meters high, according to the Lighthouse Directory, and the area where the eruption took place is now a protected area.   Here's a map.  Remember to switch over to the satellite view, which is pretty cool.

So here are pictures, and this time I'll start with a video, which starts with the lighthouse.




Below are some pictures.







No comments: