Sunday, August 4, 2019

I found out "porge" is a word


Every now and then I'll type a word that my imagination conjures up into the Google search box.  A lot of time this random created word ends up being an entry in the Urban Dictionary (which has some really strange, and that's putting it mildly, entries), but every now and then my creativity comes up with an actual real English word.

The most recent example of this is porge.

This is what porge means, from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

transitive verb
Definition of porge -
-- to make (a slaughtered animal) ceremonially clean by removal of the forbidden fat, veins, and sinews according to Jewish ritual

If you want to know more, and I mean a LOT more, here's a link to the article on porging from the Jewish Encyclopedia (1906).   Not for the squeamish.

PORGING (Hebrew, בורחה, lit. "incision"; Judæo-German, "treibern" 




No comments: