Friday, March 27, 2020

Lighthouse of the Week, March 15-21, 2020: Four Fresnel lenses


Because I missed last week's Lighthouse of the Week, for this "late" catch-up edition, I'm going to feature one of the beautiful and fascinating aspects of lighthouse history, the Fresnel lens.  While many lighthouses still have them, many more have been retired or put in museums and replaced in the lighthouse by electric lights.  Fresnel lens are marvels of both optics and glass manufacturing, and now they seem like industrial artwork.

First, a link:

Million dollar lens:  the science and history behind the Fresnel lighthouse lens

And an image of the various orders:











Here are the four Fresnel lenses I've found and chosen.  And guess what?  These will be the next four Lighthouses of the Week!   I may have featured these before;  if so, I'll try to find new pictures that aren't in my previous post.

St. Joseph Pier North





















Pointe Aux Barques

























Pigeon Point

























Cape Blanco




No comments: