Saturday, September 11, 2010

Should we worry about Mt. Sinabung?

"Mount Sinabung is near Lake Toba, a 100-kilometre long volcanic crater that some archaeologists believe was the site of an eruption that almost wiped out the human race when it erupted 69,000-77,000 years ago."

Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. Things like that don't happen more than once every 100,000 years or so.

Right?

Indonesian volcano unleashes violent eruption

My worry; Sinabung pulls a Pinatubo, and the resulting very cold phase for several months (La Nina plus sulfate cooling) completely messes up the climate change debate in the United States, which is one of the leading anti-science issues that Nature so aptly opined about.

A good reason to keep trying to educate smart kids about science; despite the efforts of the know-nothings. I mean Republicans.

I know what I meant.

No comments: