Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Impact of fish farming

It's very, very, very hard for me to eat any kind of wild-caught fish these days. I satisfy my health needs and enjoyment of seafood (yes, I do like it) with farm-raised seafood: salmon, tilapia, catfish, shrimp, and the occasional lobster, because the Maine lobster fishery is well-managed and sustainable. Trout is also possible, because most trout is from hatchery-bred fish. Beyond that, there isn't much. I do really like tuna subs, too; at least it's skipjack or yellowfin, and not bluefin. And I might have two tuna subs a month, at most. (And I wouldn't mind eating Asian carp, aka "silverfin", properly prepared, as much as possible!)

Asian Carp Recipes

Asian Carp: the next Chilean Sea Bass?

More Asian Carp recipes (in PDF style)


Apparently you have to watch out for bones -- but they taste good.

Now, I know that fish farming is not a total panacea for the world's seafood and fishery problems. And fish farming causes problems, too (some of which could be alleviated if they'd go a little further offshore). The following article discusses how to evaluate when fish farming is too much fish farming:

Even the best farmed fish can cause problems

No comments: