Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Stardance on the future horizon?

If you like sci-fi and good writing, Spider and Jeanne Robinson's "Stardance" is top-notch. (And has something to say about humans in space, too). The Hugo Award-winning novella was fabulous; the novel was pretty good as well. Spider does get into a little about non-PG rated zero-G activities that are very likely still only sci-fi speculations at this point; I'll leave to thine imaginations.

The authors actually have a site called The Stardance Project (And I confess I never have read the other two books in the trilogy.) There's a movie in development but somebody is going to have to be a REALLY good dancer to make it work.

Anyhow, the recent announcement that Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte was going into space: Cirque du Soleil founder going to space: spokesman made me think that Stardance isn't so far away, after all. According to what I could find out, Laliberte was a street performer gymnast. Seeing what the Cirquesters can do under gravity does make me wonder what they could do in an environment lacking it.

I'll have a followup on the silverback tendencies of the super-rich Laliberte. But still, it will be interesting to see if he can do a few flips and twists on the ISS.

No comments: