Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Consterning consumption -- humans on non-sustainable trajectory

There's no way I could be surprised by this: a report from the "Global Footprint Network" finds the startling but unremarkable result that the human race is using up Earth's natural resources faster than they are being replenished.

Somewhere (and he's still alive), Paul Ehrlich is feeling vindicated, but I doubt he's smiling.

Neither am I. I am still thinking about what shape this beleaguered globe will be in when my kids are my age and my grandkids are their age. It's not a pretty thought. The only way to change the outcomes that seem both foreseeable and unthinkable is too alter a lot of trajectories. IF we could improve our energy production, energy-consumptive activities like transportation and desalination would fall into place; transportation could become a lot less polluting, and desalination would reduce the need of coastal countries to rely on fickle and dwindling rivers for fresh water. That's why, in case anyone doubts, I tout and advocate and push for nuclear power AS PART OF a robust and diversified and resilient energy portfolio for the Earth. Nuclear can be the bridge to the future, and modular plant construction can reduce costs and increase safety. I/we are still dealing with embrittlement, but I think there are some materials technology that can improve that situation.

Anyway, here's the global footprint report:

Humanity now demanding 1.4 Earths

No comments: