Monday, June 25, 2012

I hate to be pessimistic

I hate to be pessimistic, but I give the Mars Curiosity Lander only about a 30% chance of landing success, i.e., 3-1 odds against it landing successfully. Oh, I know that everything has been checked and double-checked, but as the video notes, there is zero margin for error. Everything -- every component, every sequence, every element - has to work perfectly. Without any human control or intervention (of course the events in the sequence happen so fast that intervention would probably screw things up worse). I know the scientific payoff is big, but this is a tremendous amount of risk, and the downside is that the public will believe less in the capabilities of fully robotic exploration of the Solar System if Curiosity doesn't land safely and operate as designed.

7 Minutes of Terror - the Video

No comments: