Monday, December 3, 2012

Made in menhaden


Going way way back in this blog, I advocated menhaden protections - even coming up with the radical idea of making the entire Chesapeake Bay a menhaden fish farm (which I discovered was probably not a logistially possible idea, but hey, I was trying). 

So now I read the Washington Post coming out strongly for menhaden protection.  They need it, so it's a strong and visionary statement.

Unfortunately, I don't credit the Republican-controlled Virginia Assembly with the ability to do the right thing.  If I am proved wrong in that, I would be tremendous change in the way things are.

A make or break moment for 'the most important fish in the sea'


"Help for menhaden could be on the way. But two things need to happen first.

First, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission, which is considering steps to address the menhaden decline, must produce an aggressive action plan. Reducing annual harvests by 25 percent or more, for example, is an essential first step for allowing the population to recover. The commission will release a new conservation plan this month.

Second, East Coast states must implement the plan — including Virginia. If Virginia fails to adopt meaningful catch restrictions, menhaden simply will not recover."

And I should add, if Ken Cuccinelli gets elected governor, menhaden don't have a chance either.





No comments: