Thursday, December 31, 2015

Sad to say goodbye


I was saddened to hear of the passing of the Harlem Globetrotter's Meadowlark Lemon.  Back when ABC's Wide World of Sports would regularly show a Harlem Globetrotter's game (once or twice a year), Meadowlark was the star of the show, followed by dribbling master Curly Neal.

I went to see the Globetrotters at least once live -- and I can't remember if Meadowlark was there, because they had more than one traveling squad.  I even had a book about the Globetrotters, and one of the main subjects was Meadowlark and how he took over from the previous leader of the show, Goose Tatum.

So Meadowlark's passing strikes me perhaps more than many other celebrities and sports figures of my childhood, because I remember him so well.  And it's hard to forget that name.

Harlem Globetrotter's great Meadowlark Lemon dies at age 83




No comments: