Monday, March 25, 2019

I've been saying this for a long time!


From the Washington Post op-ed article "How Contagious is Trumpism?", this bit of logic, which I believe I've said in various ways for years:
"If Congress modestly raised the tax on gasoline (or transitioned to a tax on vehicle-miles traveled), it could repair the nation’s roads and bridges and build new bikeways and mass transit, as Congress is forever promising and failing to do."
The underlined part is what I do agree with the most.  Because of the increase in availability of higher mileage vehicles, a gas tax is inequitable -- people who use more gas pay more taxes.  All that needs to be figured out is how to measure road miles traveled.  In this era of transponders and GPS, I would think that the miles a car travels on state roads and interstates.  But the computing power to process all that data would of necessity be large, and would have to be pretty robust.


No comments: