Sunday, July 30, 2023

Lighthouse of the Week, July 30 - August 5, 2023: Jeongja Hang North Breakwater Light, South Korea

 

After I discovered that South Korea has lots and lots and lots of lighthouses, with a wide variety of designs, I vowed not to use too many of them as Lighthouses of the Week. And I have kept my vow. But I was casting about for ideas for lighthouses this week, I happened upon this one, and I couldn't resist.  There aren't many pictures of it, so this will be a short and quick article.

First of all, let's find where it is in South Korea.  And that would be here. Zoom out to get a better geographical idea of where "here" is.

Here's what the Lighthouse Directory knows about it.

"Date unknown. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); two red flashes every 6 s. 11 m (36 ft) sculpture of a whale; the light is perched above the whale's nose. Entire lighthouse is red. ... This unusual design was selected after a public competition. Formerly a whaling port, Ulsan calls itself "Whale City," has a whale museum, and is a base for whale-watching cruises."

Here are the pictures.  By the way, the other breakwater has a white whale lighthouse, so don't make any Moby Dick jokes, or any dick jokes, for that matter.  Remember South Korea has one of those, too (a dick lighthouse). 






No comments: