Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Commenting on the NFL finalists

OK, even though the Baltimore Colts were my only hometown team, I am interested in how the Ravens do every year -- and they exceeded expectations considerably. I thought the Steelers would win, though, and they did. Thankfully Willis McGahee can still walk and talk.

Being the ultimate fan of the underdog (see "Wustest to Fustest" about the Tampa Bay Rays), I thought the Cardinals would lose to the Eagles. They showed pluck coming back after falling behind, and they've got offense. With Warner on target to the incredible Fitzgerald and Boldin, and the running game working, they can move down the field.

So now for the Super Bowl prediction. Forget that point spread stuff. Super Bowl history has shown that the team with the dominant defense should be favored (think the '86 Bears, the 2000 Ravens, the year that Tampa Bay won, even though my favorite player that year was the unfortunately retired Mike Alstott). So I think the Steelers, with this year's most dominant defense, should be favored. But I think the Steelers have enough rings and Super Bowls. So I hope that the luckless Cardinals finally get their chance. Besides, Pittsburgh fans will be beyond insufferable if they win another one.

No comments: