Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Sea Shepherds have a new high-speed trimaran

With the Ady Gil speedboat trimaran having lost its bow, the Sea Shepherds have brought a new high speed interceptor/instigator/interruptor into the annual whaling battle, GOJIRA. Shades of Godzilla. I've obviously got issues with the way that Japan consumes a lot of what comes out of the sea, and the Sea Shepherds also took on the bluefin tuna travesty, so if this effort could influence the overall Japanese attitude toward consumption of seafood (I guess I'm forced to include whale under that category), then I'm in favor.

GOJIRA









I kinda wish that the Sea Shepherd battle against the whalers wasn't quite so ... publicity-seeking, but sometimes you've got to make a stand. Mahatma Gandhi showed what passive resistance can do, and these guys are continuing that tradition, albeit a little more actively. I'll keep boycotting all tuna products.

Straight into battle: High-tech anti-whaling vessel clashes with Japanese fleet in freezing Southern Ocean

No comments: