Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I think I recognize HER


An article about facial recognition caught my eyes -- because I'm pretty sure I recognize the face of the illustration in it.  Let's read on.


New research about facial recognition turns common wisdom on its head


Common wisdom has it that humans recognize the face "holistically," meaning that there is something about the picture created by the entire face - the particular arrangement of a face's eyes, nose, and mouth and not just these features themselves - that makes it easier for the human brain to make a positive ID.

That common wisdom appears to be wrong.
You can read the rest of the article to find out why.  And see if you agree.  But that's not the point of this story.  The article is illustrated with a picture of an attractive woman.  The picture below, in fact:


 This is actually a very famous picture; it's the only picture of a Playboy Playmate to have been in space.  (Umm, the title of the linked article is about an auction of a piece of the final frontier for space buffs.  Really now.)

And her name is DeDe Lind.  And I recognized her immediately.

Well, it just goes to show you that I appreciate the wholeness of a woman.

And if you want to see the whole picture, which includes the attributes that landed DeDe the August 1967 centerfold, just click here.   If you want to read more about her, including 60's vintage Playboy pictures of her uncensored (and one suggestive one with a banana that's more recent -- I have to be honest here), then click at this point.

The thing is, I was 9 when she was a centerfold.  I never saw it until years later due to the wonders of the Internet.  So I was not imprinted as a young boy, making her face "unforgettable" -- I just studied hard.


No comments: