Friday, September 2, 2016

Quick U.S. Tennis Open 2016 check-in


Just about mid-way through the U.S. Tennis Open 2016, let me do a quick check-in on the current situation.

Djokovic had it almost too easy, with Youzhny retiring in the first set.  Nadal advanced in straight sets over Kuznetsov (the tennis player), finishing the match with a second-to-last point that was quite entertaining, including a between-the-legs shot by Nadal followed immediately by a backwards-over-the-head shot by Kuznetsov, both of which landed in.

I expect/hope Murray will advance easily, too.   Lurking somewhere in the middle is Stan Wawrinka. I'll be surprised if the winner isn't one of those four (Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Wawrinka).

So now over to the women's side.

If Serena's playing (and she is), you have to expect she'll win.  It's nice to see Caro Wozniacki (unseeded) into the fourth round against Madison Keys, but I don't think she's sharp enough to win that.  Also in the third round, Halep will face the 31st-seeded player (Babos of Hungary) -- ought to get through.   Kerber zipped into the fourth round, but faces a potentially troublesome Kvitova there.

Biggest surprise is 3rd-seed, French Open champion Muguruza getting knocked out.

So, given what we know right now, I'll rank the top five (in order) of who I think might have a chance.

1.  Serena Williams
2.  Angelique Kerber
3.  Roberta Vinci
4.  Madison Keys
5.  Simona Halep (my heart is probably making this pick, more than my head)






No comments: