Monday, October 17, 2016

Lighthouse of the Week, October 16-22, 2016: Changpomal, South Korea



I keep trying to find new countries with lighthouses that I haven't featured yet, before going back to some of the countries that have lots of lighthouses and featuring more of those. So I thought to myself, "What's a coastal country that I might not have looked at yet?" And I came up with South Korea. And then I Google Image-searched lighthouses of South Korea.

Holy cow. It appears that South Korea is dominating the world in new and unusual lighthouse designs. I think I'm going to spend a couple of weeks on this country.

The first one that I'm featuring is the Changpomal lighthouse, one that looks like the tower is being consumed by a green slime monster.

So what is with this one? Rowlett's Lighthouse Directory has this:

"Active; focal plane 61 m (200 ft); white flash every 6 s. 12 m (39 ft) round white concrete tower with a spherical lantern and an open observation gallery. Lantern painted red; wrapped around one side of the tower is a blue "crab claw" sculpture."

OK, so that's what that thing is. Still, it's not your run-of-the-mill lighthouse, is it?

And that's really all I could find about it. It's located on the eastern coast of South Korea, across from southern Japan.






No comments: