Wednesday, January 24, 2018

While watching "True Grit"


The original John Wayne "True Grit" was on TV a few nights ago.  If you don't know the movie, virtually the same scene is in the Jeff Bridges remake.  That scene is when Rooster Cogburn, on horseback, has a shootout with four outlaws, also on horseback.  In the original movie, the head outlaw is played by Robert Duvall.

The shootout takes place in a big meadow, behind which is striking and unmistakable mountain peak.  Given the magic of the Web, I was able to indulge my curiosity and figure out where this was.  It is in Colorado's San Juan Mountains, and it is named Chimney Peak.  Not surprisingly, it's a favorite of rock climbers.

There are likely hundreds of pictures of this place, so if you want to see them, just image search with 'Colorado' and 'Chimney Peak'.   (Or just click this link I made for you.) I was curious about the actual location (I found it on a Web site discussing locations from the movie), so I looked for it on Google Maps.  It was findable, and there was also a panoramic photo available, which is almost like being there.  And I have that for you below.  A fellow named Michael Williams apparently shot it.



No comments: