Monday, May 7, 2018

Oh my, what a great idea


Every time I go to a hotel that has little complimentary containers of shampoo and conditioner, I think about how much plastic gets used to make them - and how much plastic gets thrown away even when they're barely used.  There are a couple of solutions -- you could travel with your own supplies, but they have to go in your checked baggage if there's more than a little.  For long stays, you could buy some at the destination.  You could buy a couple of travel sizes, too (but there might be a travel rule about that).

I do use the conditioner and shampoo, but I try to use them up.  I know not everyone does that. So when I read about this great idea, I wondered why more hotels hadn't thought of it.  I think more of them are going to this, and they should.

Hotels set to replace tiny shampoo and conditioner container with bulk dispensers
"InterContinental Hotels and Marriott International are starting the switch to bulk dispensers in a move that, according to the Wall Street Journal, will help them save money in the long-run and help the environment. This is because it will reduce the amount of plastic waste generated by the miniature bottles."
Cue the applause.  Well done.


No comments: