Monday, April 1, 2019

Lighthouse of the Week, March 31 - April 6, 2019: Sabtang Island, Phillippines


I thought I'd stick around the Phillippines for a couple more weeks. I was looking for historical lighthuoses, but when I saw a picture of an exposed lighthouse on a rocky outcrop, I had to feature it.

It turns out this is a relatively modern lighthouse built to attract tourists.  It's on a small island in a small group of islands, the Batanes, between the northern Phillippine island of Luzon and Taiwan.  As you might expect, given the title of this post, the island the lighthouse is on is named Sabtang Island.

Here is what we know about it, from the remarkable Lighthouse Directory. I'm not sure if they even turn the light on!  I did find one picture taken at twilight where it looked like the light was on, so I don't know for sure.
"2006. Listed as inactive by PCG; focal plane unknown; flash every 5 s, either white (NGA) or red (PCG). Approx. 18 m (56 ft) round rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted; the watch room and trim are painted white and the lantern red."
Pictures below, and a bonus scenic highlight, which is Nakabuang Beach, also on Sabtang Island, with a scenic sea arch.






















No comments: