Monday, November 4, 2019

A new battle for me


Up until today, I had never heard of the Battle of Vitoria.  (Make sure you spell that right, because there was never a battle of Victoria.)

It took place about 25 miles south of Bilbao, in northern Spain, during the Peninsular War, which actually I hadn't ever heard of either.   I guess I should have been paying more attention during the early 1800s portion of World History.  The battle was fought by the Duke of Wellington, who I have heard of, against Joseph Bonaparte and allies. Joseph Bonaparte was Napoleon Bonaparte's brother, and I've heard of Napoleon too -- quite a bit, in fact.  But I didn't know that Napoleon had put his brother on the Spanish throne, which was the main reason a war was being fought there -- because the British and their allies supported the Spanish rebellion against Joseph Bonaparte.

In short, during the Battle of Vitoria, Wellington's forces defeated Bonaparte's forces decisively, pretty much amounting to the end of this particular war.

If you want details, go here:  The Battle of Vitoria, 21st June 1813


No comments: