Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Joe Walsh on Trump and his fleeced flock


Former Congressman Joe Walsh is taking on Donald Trump in the Republican Presidential race -- which is kind of hard to do considering how many state Republican parties canceled their primary so to better facilitate the coronation of King Trump.

That is wrong on a lot of levels -- but that's not when this is about.  This is about what happened when Joe Walsh talked to Trump fans about to attend a Trump rally in Iowa, somewhat akin to pilgrims waiting outside the temple for their audience with the oracle of Delphi.

Here's what he tweeted in a series of tweets, shown below in their entirety:

"@realDonaldTrump came into Iowa Thursday for one of his lie-filled rallies. Prior to the event, I campaigned for votes among all the people in line waiting to go in to hear the President. It was one of the most frustrating experiences I’ve ever had. It made me sad. 
Yes, plenty of Trump supporters were angry at me and many got in my face. But that’s not what made me sad. Here’s what made me sad: I asked about 40 folks a very simple question: Has Donald Trump ever lied to the American people? Simple question, right?

Every single person said “No.” No, Trump has never lied. Every single person gave me that answer. But that wasn’t all. A few people told me that Trump, unlike Obama, has never golfed. Nobody in line knew that Trump was increasing the debt way faster than Obama.

Nobody knew that under Trump our deficit was now greater than $1 trillion. Nobody I asked could think of one single thing that Trump has done that has disappointed them. Nobody thought Trump did anything wrong with Ukraine.

Almost everyone thought that China was paying for Trump’s tariffs. Nobody cared that Russia screwed with our 2016 election. On and on it went. I left sad & frustrated because all of these folks in line were being fed a sea of lies by Trump, Fox News, and

the rest of Trump’s media sycophants. They weren’t being told the truth. And here in line in Des Moines waiting to go in & hear more lies from this President, they didn’t believe basic truths. This is a scary thing for our Republic. Trump’s legacy is the destruction of truth."

And that, sadly, is entirely true.



No comments: