Thursday, May 5, 2022

Lighthouse of the Week, May 1-7, 2022: Santa Ana Hill, Guayaquil, Ecuador

 

My first search didn't work (I looked for lighthouses in Samoa;  there are lights, but not lighthouses), so I then conjured up "blue stripe lighthouse".    Using this, I found one that I am somewhat astonished I have never seen before.   It's not like a have an encyclopedic memory of lighthouses, nor do I devote myself in a consuming hobby to document them all (that's what the Lighthouse Directory is for), but still, this one is pretty outstanding.

I actually haven't featured any lighthouses from Ecuador prior to this;  a quick examination of the Lighthouse Directory page for Ecuador indicates that I'm going to have to feature a couple more.

This one, Cerro Santa Ana (Santa Ana Hill), was built quite recently, in 2002.  Here's the brief amount of information from the aforementioned directory:

"2002. Active (unofficial); focal plane 86 m (282 ft); continuous white light. 19 m (62 ft) round tower with lantern and gallery painted in a blue and white spiral pattern. (The city's flag features blue and white horizontal stripes.)"

Based on that, I'm not totally sure it's for navigation, or if it's just for show.  But it is very prominent.  I think the blue stripes are recent, as there are some pictures of it where it is all white.








No comments: