Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Conservation thought #2

Reusable liquid containers

I was showering yesterday and I looked at the variety of bottles of shampoos and conditioners and liquid soaps that we have in the shower, and I was struck by the amount of waste of petrochemicals that they represent. Now, I recycle them, and I like to buy big bottles so they last longer and I don't generate as many recyclables. But I wondered...

Why not make these bottles reusable, and have refill quantities in paper containers? Now, they would have to be waterproof (but milk and orange juice don't have any problem being in paper cartons). That way, you just buy a big paper container, and keep refilling your plastic container for the shower from the refill carton.

Some household cleaners do this; a big refill bottle and a smaller spray bottle for actual use in cleaning (product plug, I know Windex does this). Why not more of this? Particularly for the most generally-used stuff?

No comments: