Monday, May 17, 2010

Britain beats Australia (again) in one-day cricket

OK, though I admit a fondness for cricket, I've just basically figured out how Test cricket works. I have no idea how one-day cricket, or Twenty20 (which I think is also called Limited Overs) works. I just know that they were playing this tournament in Barbados and the English team, which is on something of a hot streak lately, made the finals and then beat Australia in the finals. And England had never done real well in any form of "shortened" cricket before. (During this tournament, Kevin Pietersen, who has found his form again, dodged volcanic ash clouds to get back to the UK for the birth of his first child, then made it back to the Caribbean for the semi-final, where England ousted Sri Lanka, and then played in the final. Impressive stuff.)

England vs. Australia as it happens (happened)


WORLD TWENTY20: Paul Collingwood's England heroes are a global smash


Wikipedia attempts to explain Twenty20 cricket

(Basically, each team is at bat for a maximum of 20 overs, an "over" consisting of six bowled balls. So there is an emphasis on more scoring. What I don't get is: it seems like the field is set up differently, i.e., it's easier to make catches by the fielders. I don't know if that's true or not.)

No comments: