Saturday, June 26, 2010

Orgasm in a country-western song

I was touring the dial while traveling the state the other day, and I did what I occasionally do; I listened to a country-western station for a couple of hours. I somewhat like country-western music, primarily when there's a deft turn of phrase or play on words, and some ballads can pack some emotional strength, too.

So... while I was listening, I heard the song "Firecracker" by Josh Turner (released about three years ago). It immediately struck me -- it was rather obvious -- that this song was one of the more explicit CW songs about sex. Metaphor or not, it's pretty clear. In particular, two lines are a fairly concise description of female orgasm (and a nice way to say it, too).

Now, the video is pretty tame; nice-looking girl, guy, fireworks store, band outside the store. According to brief searching, his wife is in the band (on keyboards). Fortunately she's also blonde; see below.

Firecracker video

So anyway, here's the specific lyrics about the climactic subject, and a link to the video. There have been other CW songs that touch upon this touchy subject, but not being an aficionado, I couldn't name any. ("A Whole Lotta Shaking Going On" seems to be in that vein.) Clearly, a whole lot of CW songs are about the consequences of sex, particularly the cheatin' kind. So it's nice to have at least one CW song about good sex in a committed relationship, isn't it?

She goes off with a great big bang

Boys I tell ya it's a beautiful thing

She takes off you better hang on tight



She's a blonde bottle rocket in the middle of the night



Turner is a sufficiently adept vocalist as to make "bang" and "thing" almost sound like they rhyme. I'm surprised he's not a bigger star, but maybe he's a bigger star than I think he is, because I'm not paying sufficient attention. His fans seem to adore him (but fans always do, don't they?)

By the way, what do you think the lyrics are alluding to here?

When I light the fuse, I gotta get back quick



You gotta be careful with a dynamite stick

Naahh, couldn't be...

-----
Julianne Hough has a new CW single out too; after a little searching on YouTube, I found both the single release and a recording of her singing it live for a radio program, it appears. There's a considerable difference. She's an adequate singer, with a decent upper and lower register, but in the middle she lacks power and sounds a little girlish (more noticeable in the live performance than the single). She does project some emotion and longing fairly well in this song, which is about... well, wanting to feel someone with you when you're, ahem, lonely. One of the lines in the song makes that fairly clear.

"Is That So Wrong" Single on YouTube

Live performance

Here's some of the lyrics:

Baby, close your lips, only a kiss, only a kiss don’t say a word
You can let it go, loose control, and I promise it wont hurt
I just want to get lost, wanna get lost in your arms
So throw on the floor, I just can’t wait anymore

Doesn’t everybody just want to feel somebody
Just want to hold someone to fill that empty space
When your missing that rush and a friends not enough
I just can’t deal
No tonight I just don’t wanna be alone, tell me, is that wrong?


Wanting to fill that empty space...? I'm sure there'll be takers, Julia (even if you're still waiting for marriage...)
-----
As an aside, one of the clearest references to the act itself is in the theme from the James Bond film "Octopussy" (not that this should be a surprise). The song, "All Time High", sung by Rita Coolidge, has this lyrical aspect at the beginning:

All I wanted was a sweet distraction for an hour or two.
Had no intention to do the things we've done.
Funny how it always goes with love, when you don't look, you find.
But then we're two of a kind, we move as one.

And this fairly direct wording:

I don't want to waste a waking moment; I don't want to sleep.
I'm in so strong and so deep, and so are you.


-----
I did find one item on the Web with other country songs about sex:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081005161756AAQI78I


(Note: I'm aware that a lot of urban music is absolutely, totally, unexpurgatedly about sex. I prefer some poetical aspects to the music.)

No comments: