Monday, March 13, 2017

Dutch engineering strikes again


Being in the energy business, I'm always interested in projects that will provide energy (and I have some ideas of my own, other than nuclear power).  So when I saw this project, I was surprised, impressed, and fascinated.  I'm not sure if it'll work, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, right?

So, the Dutch, the same remarkable people that brought us dikes and reclaimed land below sea level using polders, and also a people and a country that has a lot of windmills, have dreamed up a project that will provide a lot of energy -- via a lot more windmills.

The project is an entire artificial island surrounded by windmills that will act as a power hub sending electricity to many countries surrounding the North Sea.  According to the quoted article, it could supply enough energy for 80 million people.

Given what the Dutch have already done, and given their societal commitments, I can see this project happening.  And it will have a side benefit of reducing CO2 emissions from fossil fuel burning.


Welcome to Dogger Island: How 'crazy' artificial power island in the North Sea could supply renewable energy to 80 million people in Europe by 2050

No comments: