Sunday, February 11, 2024

Lighthouse of the Week, February 4-10, 2024: Enoshima Sea Candle, Japan

 

I did a quick check on this lighthouse of the week before I started finding some pictures of it. While I never featured it as a lighthouse of the week, I did feature it in a lighthouse of the week post

As I was looking for pictures, I also found out that this is a privately-owned lighthouse. There will be more on that later.


As is customary, the first thing that I do is to show the location of this featured lighthouse. As you will see, it is on Enoshima Island. To see where that is, I've zoomed way out, so it is possible to see Yokohama, Kawasaki, and Tokyo. Zoom in to see Enoshima Island!

The next thing to do is to get some information from the Lighthouse Directory:

"2003 (station established 1951). Active; focal plane 107 m (351 ft); white flash every 10 s. 60 m (197 ft) round steel skeletal tower, wider at the top than at the bottom, with a lantern atop a large circular observation area. The tubular outer framework of the tower is white. At night, the tower is bathed in lights of changing colors. ... Eno Shima, a triangular island just off the coast near Fujisawa, is famous in Japanese folklore and is considered the perfect spot for viewing the sunset behind Mount Fuji. The island is connected to the mainland by a bridge and is a very well known tourist attraction. The tower is located at the highest point of the island, near the center."

And the website:  Enoshima Sea Candle

Pictures, of which there are numerous:








No comments: