Saturday, February 3, 2024

Since I know the ending

 

Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess starred in the movie One Day, and if you've seen it, you know how it ends.  (Obviously.)  Plus, it was based on a novel, and if you know how that ends, then you know how the movie ended. (Also, obviously.)

Now, I'm not against movie remakes. Some of them have been acceptable. I'd have to think hard to come up with any that were actually good. But there is a problem. If a movie or a book has a somewhat unexpected event or events in it -- and I'm not saying One Day does, if you haven't seen it -- then that unexpectedness is not nearly so surprising the second time around. And there have been unexpected occurrences that I did want to see in the movie adaptation of a book or in a remake; some of them were well done.  And I was REALLY disappointed on the occasions when an unexpected occurrence that I wanted to see happen was poorly done, or left out completely. 

However, there are sometimes unexpected occurrences that I really don't have to see again if I know they're going to happen.  Now, I'm not saying that One Day has any of those. But I'm not going to work very hard to watch the remake.

If you're interested ... there are 14 episodes.  One Day (2024) IMdB



No comments: