Saturday, February 17, 2024

There are less snow days

 

For years, a "prediction" that children wouldn't remember snow has been belittled by climate change deniers. 

But slowly and inexorably, it's happening.

Snow days help make childhood magical. Now they’re melting away.

"It was with Calvin’s [of Calvin and Hobbes] directive in mind that when last week’s forecast began to promise our first real snow in two years, I splurged on snow pants and heavy socks that we might not have cause to use again before my children grow out of them. On Monday evening, we watched the snow thicken in the glow of the streetlights. My daughter made snow angels in our backyard. We all built a snowman, whose body was repurposed for a snow fight with the neighbors. I towed my son around the yard on our little plastic sled. And both kids did their best to help their father shovel the front walk.

This storm didn’t match the biggest snows of my youth, when my family slept in front of our fireplace and slid through quiet streets on cross-country skis. But if it turns out to be the last snow of my son’s childhood, there’s a chance he might remember it."

This shouldn't be forgotten

 

No comments: