Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sacrifice is scary

Lots on my mind these days, and I'm going to comment on the new EPA finding on CO2, hopefully very soon. But while it's on my mind, how much is Arctic ice worth to us?

Massive emissions cuts can save Arctic ice: study

"Cutting greenhouse gases by 70 percent this century would spare the planet the most traumatic effects of climate change, including the massive loss of Arctic sea ice, a study said Tuesday." (That was the first paragraph.)

"This research indicates that we can no longer avoid significant warming during this century," said Washington, who ran a series of global supercomputer studies." (I'm not surprised by that.)

"This study provides some hope that we can avoid the worst impacts of climate change--if society can cut emissions substantially over the next several decades and continue major cuts through the century," [study author Warren] Washington said." (Is that realistic? More about that later. I promise.)

No comments: