Thursday, June 18, 2009

Laliberte the silverback


Just to followup on my Stardance post regarding Cirque du Soleil founder and super-rich guy Guy Laliberte, he has five kids, with two different (young) wives. That's the dictionary definition of a harem, human-style; definitely silverback behavior. A couple of supporting links on that:

Here's what the mother of two of the five kids, pictured at right, has to say (from the NY Post, and an unauthorized biography):

" "Guy thinks he is larger than life. He would be out all night partying with young girls while I stayed at home watching the kids. He had so many women behind my back," Laliberté's former girlfriend, Rizia Moreira, is quoted by author Ian Halperin in "Guy Laliberté: The Fabulous Story of the Creator of the Cirque du Soleil," out in June from Transit Publishing. "He tried to hide it, but I caught him each time . . . I confronted him, and he didn't know what to say. He made my life miserable."

Moreira tells Halperin: "He'd come home after sleeping with other women and have sex with me... (so the harem extends beyond the females who are bearing his progeny)

Speaking of whom is bearing his progeny:

This is Guy with Claudia Barilla, mother of the other three kids, though Wikipedia says it's the other way around.

Lest it seem like I'm being critical, I'm really not (but I don't think anyone should sleep around promiscuously, particularly on a wife and mother, in the age of HIV). But Laliberte is also sponsoring a program called ONE DROP, which is attempting to make sure that everyone (particularly kids) in the world) have access to clean water. And he kicked in $100 million of his own cash to finance it. And he got a humanitarian award in 2007 for doing that. So I guess what or who he does in his personal life doesn't detract from that. He's a classic silverback -- a leader, and a harem keeper. That's how it works.

No comments: