Monday, September 14, 2009

Keeping up with the world's tallest buildings

A tragedy in Hong Kong alerted me to the fact that something I thought I knew to be correct now requires updating. The tragedy was that six workers fell to their death in a construction accident in the International Commerce Centre, which will be Hong Kong's tallest skyscraper and the world's fourth tallest building.

I thought I knew that the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur were the world's tallest building, but they've been surpassed. Petronas Towers now rank third tallest of completed buildings, and they'll be fifth when the ICC in Hong Kong and the Burj in Dubai are finished.

Here are links to descriptions of the top five:

1. The Burj, Dubai

2. Taipei 101

3. Shanghai World Financial Centre

4. International Commerce Centre

5. Petronas Towers

No comments: