Monday, April 26, 2010

Speaking of fringe sports

Deep sea free-diving is way out there in terms of sporting activities. I'm fascinated by it because it pushes the limits of human capability; how long can you hold your breath and how deep can you go? But the thing is: it's dangerous. Probably right up there with ice climbing, high-end rock climbing, and cave diving (well, maybe not cave diving...) I don't know what the casualty statistics are for the sport, and I'm sure they take precautions, but any sport in which one of the judges' criteria is how conscious the athlete at the end of the competition -- well, I guess that applies to boxing and extreme cage fighting, as well -- just seems to be a little too gladiator-esque for my liking.

Diver sets new world record

Of course, I like hockey:

Eric Belanger loses eight teeth

and pulls one out himself

No comments: