Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Driving off a cliff with a blindfold on

I really enjoy eating fish and seafood. Salmon, tilapia, shrimp, lobster, scallops, trout, crab, even tuna subs -- all good. The thing is, I am fully aware that we collectively as a whole globally -- meaning US HUMANS -- are eating too much fish. As I have many times on this blog said, we need to do something else. For hopeless Japan, at least TRY to eat more tilapia sushi and less toro (i.e., the noble, highly endangered bluefin tuna).

I don't eat nearly as much seafood as I could or would, because I know that we're eating too much, and I try to eat mostly that which is farm-raised, with the occasional RARE exception of a tuna sub. And I can't even remember the last time I ate one of those now. (Also I don't mind lobster, even though cost-wise it doesn't happen often, because lobster is wisely raised in a sustainable manner).

So knowing all that I do, it is hardly a surprise to read that we collectively as a whole humanity are eating more seafood than ever before. This is madness. Stocks are collapsing, poaching is increasing, fish sizes are way down (subject of one of my early posts on this blog); something has to change. Here's one article about the study that inspired this posting:

Global fish consumption hits record high

Now, it turns out that there are other kinds of fish that can be eaten, and which have stocks that aren't over-exploited. Nuisance fish like Asian carp and lionfish -- eat all you want!

And they are alternatives that still taste really good. Time ran this article about top (I mean TOP chefs) switching from "classic" -- and heavily overfished, generally -- fish species to new and different kinds that are much less exploited. And chefs can influence general seafood consumption patterns. (I posted this once before but it's worth posting again.)

Europe's top chefs push for sustainable seafood

Reading the Monterey Bay Aquarium seafood guides also acquainted me with opah and tilefish, neither of which I've tried. I'll be looking for them.

Tilefish


















Opah (moonfish)

No comments: