Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A win for Wexton


One of the interesting facets of living in this region is that you can hear the Virginia news in Maryland, and vice versa.  So the only reason that I knew there was a special election in Virginia for a Virginia Senate seat (because the Senator from that district was elected VA attorney general) was some radio ads for Jennifer Wexton, who was the Democrat running for it.  It was clear from the quoted Washington Post endorsement in the ad that the Republican in the race was an ideologue in the mold of Ken Cuccinelli.  That was an easy choice, and it led me to tweet in the morning of the race (which on my clock is still today) that I wished I could vote for Jennifer Wexton.

Well, fortunately, it turns out I didn't have to.  Wexton won 53% to 37% (there was a third guy in the race who got the other 10%).   Now, there was one other earlier special election that still is getting a recount, because the Democrat only won by 7 votes.  If that holds up, then the Virginia Senate has 20 Democrats and 20 Republicans, and a Democratic Lt. Governor gives control to the Dems.

Which makes me smile.

Jennifer Wexton wins Virginia Senate special election




No comments: