Wednesday, March 12, 2014

But there's a lot of biomass


A few years ago I believed that cellulosic ethanol would be the major biofuel in the world. I no longer think that, mainly because it seems like it's a lot easier to make biofuel from algae.

But, as I noted above, there is a LOT of waste biomass in the world.  Algae biofuel requires large areas of water to grow the algae.  Waste agricultural / plant biomass is EVERYWHERE.  If the conversion process could be made cost-competitive with other biofuel types and sources, I think that it would be viable and useful.  When I think about all the leaves that fall off suburban deciduous trees and end up in landfills, it makes me shudder how much SOLAR energy is being wasted (after all, those leaves grew due to photosynthesis, right?)

The article I found and have linked here describes where the cellulosic ethanol industry is at present. Three U.S. plants are going to open this year.  Funding and time will be important to get these to full capacity and demonstrate that this technology can make a contribution.

Then, the next step, is to turn food waste into biofuel.  Because there's a lot of that, too.

Cellulosic ethanol fights for life


No comments: