Monday, March 3, 2014

I won't go 10 for 10 (Blanchett wins Best Actress)


I succumbed to all the publicity surrounding Sandra Bullock's performance in "Gravity", and paid too little attention to the late-year buzz around Cate Blanchett's star turn in "Blue Jasmine".   But once I'd made the Undangerous Prediction, I couldn't back off, even as Cate started taking home all the trophies.  So by the time the Oscars arrived, I had consigned myself to not getting that prediction right.  In retrospect, the mortal locks at the Oscars were "Frozen" for Best Animated Feature Film and Alfonso Cuaron for Best Director.  (And Kate Hudson for Sexiest Presenter Dress, and Kate Beckinsale for Sexiest Woman at the Parties (for the latter, check this out).   She had serious competition from Miranda Kerr.

Beckinsale






















Kerr






















Looking ahead, the next undangerous prediction with a deadline is the World Cup and my unfortunate hope-I'm-wrong prediction that the U.S. National Men's Soccer Team won't get out of the group play into the elimination rounds.  Now, an 8+ earthquake could happen any time, and Hilary Clinton could declare that she'll seek the presidency anytime. But other than that, I can relax for a few months on the prediction front.






No comments: