Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Lighthouse of the Week, November 5-11, 2017: Ostrov Utrish, Russia


I was thinking about the various places that I've found lighthouses (and I'm sure there are still many more), and I pondered whether or not there was a major body of water that I hadn't yet visited that would likely have lighthouses. 

It took me only a short time to realize that I had never looked at the Black Sea for lighthouses.  And there are some.

The first one I'll visit is called Ostrov Utrish.  It's on the northeastern coast, just below the entrance to the Sea of Azov, and not far from Novorossiysk.   Below is a map that allows finding of the approximate location as just described.















The Ostrov Utrish light is interesting because the cylindrical concrete tower is encircled by a monument to fishermen killed during World War II.   There is an older lighthouse (now defunct) nearby.  The tower is 56 feet high and there's a little balcony at the top.  The light station was established in 1911 but even the Lighthouse Directory doesn't know when this lighthouse was actually built.

And there aren't a lot of pictures of it;  Wikimedia/Wikipedia has a couple more.




I think I'll visit the Black Sea lighthouses again next week.

No comments: