Wednesday, June 27, 2018

And now a few words from Mark Sanford


You remember Mark Sanford, right?  He nearly threw away a political career to go hiking, which actually meant he was visiting South America in the interests of true love, which unfortunately didn't end up where he hoped it was going. (I probably wrote a couple of blog posts about that.) Then he came back, still in love, and got into the House of Representatives. 

Well, you can't blame a guy for trying.














But because he would not kiss the butt, er, ring of his UnderEstimacy Donald Trump, Trump got another candidate to act more loyal, and this ended up resulting in Sanford losing the primary.  (Unfortunately, this candidate, Katie Arrington, was seriously injured in a car crash soon after the election.  She is recovering.)

But back to Sanford.  After he lost the primary, he wrote this opinion piece.

I lost because I wasn't Trump enough. All Republicans should worry.

There was this part, which struck me as something that should be emphasized:
"Finally, I am struck by how little we now care for truth. The president’s attacks on me were certainly not true, and my opponent took license with the truth in ways I have never seen in an opponent, but does this pattern deserve alarm? I believe so. Trust is foundational to a reason-based republic. It’s why I feel the need to speak up for my values, as I did before the election — though there proved to be an electoral consequence."
Coming from a guy who deceived everyone for awhile, maybe we should listen to him. Trump is not going to stop lying, so we need to elect a Congress that can find the truth.

No comments: