Monday, May 6, 2019

Lighthouse of the Week, May 5-11, 2019: Pigeon Point, California


When I went back and searched my blog for lighthouses, I found it hard to believe I hadn't featured the Pigeon Point lighthouse in California, south of the Bay area.  I've been near there, but never drove that section of California 1.

It has it's own Web site:  Pigeon Point Light Station State Historic Park

And from this Web site, we learn:


  • It's 115 feet high;
  • it came into service in 1872;
  • it used to have a 16-foot tall, 2,000 pound Fresnel lens; and
  • it's still in service, but with a new light.

And it's really, really picturesque, and thus there are hundreds of pictures of it available.  It's hard to pick just a few.  But I tried.  The lens is on display in the Fog Signal building by the lighthouse.

I'm sure there are videos of it too, but I was lazy this week.





The lens






No comments: