Thursday, May 23, 2019

Oh, how did I miss this one?


I had previously written about the Lesedi La Rona diamond when it was found in Botswana, and I speculated about whether or not it could be cut into a gemstone bigger than the world's largest cut diamond, the Cullinan I, in the scepter of the British kingdom.

Two articles I wrote about it back in 2016:

Historical diamond find

Big Botswana diamond will be on sale on June 29

But after it sold, I lost track of it.  But it has reappeared as a brilliant emerald cut diamond, not as large as the Cullinan I, but it is the largest square emerald cut diamond in the world.  It's just over 300 carats.  The original rough stone had two many flaws to allow a larger gemstone to be created from the rough diamond.

OHHH well.  It's still very impressive.

A video about it:



And a page about it, from the diamond company:

The Graff Lesedi La Rona

And here's a picture from that page, if you're in a hurry:





No comments: