Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Lighthouse of the Week, September 15-21, 2019: Sea Girt, New Jersey, USA


Surprisingly, I've only featured one lighthouse from New Jersey in the whole time I've been doing the "Lighthouse of the Week", and I featured that one twice.  The one I featured twice was the classic Cape May lighthouse.  In my defense, in one of the two posts about it, I only had pictures of the lighthouse at sunset.

So I decided to go back to New Jersey.  There are several choices, but I went with a historical and unique one, which is no longer in service, but is still open to the public.  The lighthouse is the Sea Girt Lighthouse, and it's owned by the Sea Girt Lighthouse Citizen's Committee.

So where is it, exactly?  Here's the locator map I made just for you.  I made it so you can see where it is in relation to New York City.  It's not far away.

It has a lot of history, so if you are so inclined, here are links to three pages about it.

Sea Girt Lighthouse at Lighthouse Friends

Sea Girt Lighthouse Citizen's Committee

Sea Girt Lighthouse - New Jersey Lighthouse Society

One interesting note - in 2002, they purchased a fourth-order Fresnel lens formerly in the Crowdy Head Lighthouse of Australia, and put it in the tower, and based on a couple of pictures I found, it appears that the light still works.

Another:  It was the last "live-in" lighthouse built on the U.S. Atlantic coast.

Quick specifications:

Built in 1896, and the light was lit in December 1896.  It operated until 1955.  The tower is 44 feet high.

So, four pictures.  Some day I might want to visit here, if I find myself in the neighborhood.


by Jason Icker


Lighthouse in winter













No comments: