Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Lighthouse of the Week, September 8-14, 2019: Yeosu New Port North, South Korea


Since I mentioned South Korea last week, this week I'm revisiting the southern end of the Korean Peninsula.

Searching for images of lighthouses, I found this bright red one, which is called the Yeosu New Port North lighthouse.  There's also a New Port East lighthouse, more on that later.  The Yeosu region has so many lighthouses that it has it's own page in the vaunted Lighthouse Directory, from where I have derived much information.

So, here are the simple main specifications:
Active; built in 2010.
Height of the tower: 10 meters
Light: Flashing, 4 second cycle, red.

When I looked at it, I figured it was just a modern design, but apparently it's supposed to be emulating a flame.

About the Yeosu New Port East lighthouse - it's the same design, but it's painted white.  According to the Lighthouse Directory: "These two decorative breakwater lighthouses were built as part of the upgrades to the waterfront prior to the 2012 World's Fair in Yeosu."  OK, I didn't even know there was a 2012 World's Fair in Yeosu until I read that.

Below are 3 pictures.  One of them has cute kids in it.'




No comments: