Sunday, July 26, 2020

Lighthouse of the Week, July 26 - August 1, 2020: Iquique, Chile


Now this is kind of funny;  back in 2015, I featured a lighthouse that wasn't really a lighthouse in Chile. In that post, I noted that Chile has a very long coastline, and quite a few actual lighthouses.  I indicated I would return to Chile soon to feature a couple of the Chilean lighthouses.

Well, five years is pretty soon, right?

I might do a few more from Chile, and sooner than five years from now for the next one.  For my first real Chilean lighthouse, I've chosen one in Iquique (which is here, zoomed way out so that its location in relationship to Peru and Bolivia can be ascertained).

There are a couple of things to note about this lighthouse.  First of all, it's red.  ALL red.  That's not unique, but it's still unusual.  Two, it has a wind vane on top.  That's the first time I've noticed a lighthouse had a wind vane.  I may have featured one, but I don't remember noticing another lighthouse wind vane.

Here are the specs from the Lighthouse Directory. It was built in 1932, though the site was actually established in 1903. It's still a working lighthouse, with a red flash every 10 seconds. The red masonry tower is 13.5 meters (44 feet) tall, and is octagonal, which means it has eight sides.

The lighthouse is on a breakwater located on a shipping terminal peninsula adjacent to the main city boundaries.

Here are three pictures of the Iquique lighthouse.





























by Vittorio Canessa




No comments: